Pancakes are a popular choice for breakfasts. But who said they should only be made traditional way? Here are three unusual recipes to diversify your favourite dish 🙂 Have a look!
1) Stardust Chocolate Pancakes
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup egg white
2 tblsp margarine (no Sat Fat)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder goes in with the flour
- In a small bowl, combine milk, egg and butter; whisk until blended. In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, Splenda, baking soda and salt; mix well.
- Add milk mixture; whisk just until dry ingredients are moistened (Batter will be slightly lumpy).
- Heat griddle over medium heat until hot (Drops of water will sizzle, then evaporate).
- Pour 8 pancakes, using 1/3 to 1/2 cup batter into griddle.
- Cook 1-2 minutes or until batter is set around edges.
- Carefully turn over pancake; cook 1-2 minutes or until pancakes are cooked through.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Sprinkle pancakes with powdered sugar; serve warm with desired toppings.
2) Savoury Pancakes
2 Cups Flour
3/4 Cups Water
1 Cup Carrots, chopped/shredded
1 Cup Long Beans, chopped
1/2 Cup Whitebait
1/2 Cup Garlic and Onions, Chopped
- In a large plastic container, mix the flour and water until smooth and gooey.
- Break in the eggs and mix some more. Set aside.
- Fry the whitebait separately, scoop it out.
- Stirfry the onion and garlic, long beans, and carrots until everything’s pretty much cooked. Then pour in the whitebait and slosh things around a little more.
- Scoop out the stirfry, allow it to cool, then mix it evenly with the dough.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fry 🙂
3) Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Topping
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 Tbsp red food coloring
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup salted butter , melted
- 1 recipe Cream Cheese Glaze , recipe follows
- fresh raspberries and mint leaves , for garnish (optional)
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 6 oz cream cheese , softened
- 6 Tbsp butter , softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat an electric non-stick griddle to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- Measure out milk into a liquid measuring cup and whisk in vinegar, allow mixture to rest for 2 minutes.
- Pour milk mixture into a separate large mixing bowl and add in sugar, eggs, red food coloring, vanilla and melted butter. Whisk mixture until well combine.
- While whisking, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combine. Butter griddle if necessary and pour about a 1/4 – 1/3 cup batter at a time onto hot griddle.
- Cook until bubbles begin to appear on the top surface of the pancakes then flip and cook opposite side until pancake is cooked through.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer set on medium speed, blend together cream cheese and butter until well combine and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add in remaining ingredients and mix about 1 minute until well combine, adding additional milk to thin if desired. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.