Pancakes are a popular choice for breakfasts. But who said they should only be made traditional way? Here are three unusual recipes to diversify your favourite dish 🙂 Have a look!
1) Stardust Chocolate Pancakes
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup egg white
2 tblsp margarine (no Sat Fat)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder goes in with the flour
- In a small bowl, combine milk, egg and butter; whisk until blended. In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, Splenda, baking soda and salt; mix well.
- Add milk mixture; whisk just until dry ingredients are moistened (Batter will be slightly lumpy).
- Heat griddle over medium heat until hot (Drops of water will sizzle, then evaporate).
- Pour 8 pancakes, using 1/3 to 1/2 cup batter into griddle.
- Cook 1-2 minutes or until batter is set around edges.
- Carefully turn over pancake; cook 1-2 minutes or until pancakes are cooked through.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Sprinkle pancakes with powdered sugar; serve warm with desired toppings.
2) Savoury Pancakes
2 Cups Flour
3/4 Cups Water
1 Cup Carrots, chopped/shredded
1 Cup Long Beans, chopped
1/2 Cup Whitebait
1/2 Cup Garlic and Onions, Chopped
- In a large plastic container, mix the flour and water until smooth and gooey.
- Break in the eggs and mix some more. Set aside.
- Fry the whitebait separately, scoop it out.
- Stirfry the onion and garlic, long beans, and carrots until everything’s pretty much cooked. Then pour in the whitebait and slosh things around a little more.
- Scoop out the stirfry, allow it to cool, then mix it evenly with the dough.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fry 🙂
3) Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Topping
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 Tbsp red food coloring
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup salted butter , melted
- 1 recipe Cream Cheese Glaze , recipe follows
- fresh raspberries and mint leaves , for garnish (optional)
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 6 oz cream cheese , softened
- 6 Tbsp butter , softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat an electric non-stick griddle to 350 degrees.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
Measure out milk into a liquid measuring cup and whisk in vinegar, allow mixture to rest for 2 minutes.
Pour milk mixture into a separate large mixing bowl and add in sugar, eggs, red food coloring, vanilla and melted butter. Whisk mixture until well combine.
While whisking, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combine. Butter griddle if necessary and pour about a 1/4 – 1/3 cup batter at a time onto hot griddle.
Cook until bubbles begin to appear on the top surface of the pancakes then flip and cook opposite side until pancake is cooked through.
Cream Cheese Glaze
In a mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer set on medium speed, blend together cream cheese and butter until well combine and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Add in remaining ingredients and mix about 1 minute until well combine, adding additional milk to thin if desired. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.